It seems that every blog post has a story and if anything can happen, it seems to happen to Romeo.
Poor Romeo goes outside for minutes by himself in the yard, like he does every day of his life, except today was not his lucky day. I let him out and in minutes he was jumping on the back door whining and barking. That’s not normal so I go left him in.
The first thing he does is start rubbing his nose on my legs, then on the floor, then on the walls. In the middle of all of this, he is running around the house, hyperventilating and drooling.
When I can finally get him to stand still, I can see his face is swollen, there are bumps on his face, neck, and head.
Now I am the one running around the house trying to find the Benadryl. I find them and pop him two tabs quickly.
Next, I am trying to figure out which person will be home at 1230 in the afternoon on a weekday because I’m not supposed to drive and I have one good arm to use.
That leaves the Retired Friends.
So, I call Auntie Linda who drops everything and heads to our house. But as she is coming over, Romeo’s face is continuing to swell and now he has bumps all over his body from his shoulder to his feet.
I got him to follow me into the car and called Auntie Linda, she was about five to ten minutes away depending on traffic. I made the decision that we couldn’t wait and sorry Doctor, I did try to behave but baby needs a doctor now. And so I drove him to the vets that were twenty minutes away.
The vet had been called and knew we were on the way. When we arrived the staff met us at the car.
In we rushed Romeo and got him checked out. Two injections later, one of Benadryl and one Steroid and he was starting to get tired and the swelling was coming down.
He stayed two hours with the vet so she could keep an eye on him while mommy went to get a big bottle of Benadryl because he is going to be on it for the next three days but we are all ok.
And we have now had our first dog in forty years of having dogs get stung by a bee and we have also learned that Romeo is allergic to bees.
Dogs and bees are like kids and bees. There is no way to know who is allergic to them until they get stung.
My first advice, here’s the nurse in me, keep a bottle of Benadryl in the house. We have one both at the cottage and the house. The next thing you should do is talk to your vet to find out what dosage your dog will need. The dosage is done by weight.
You treat a sting on a dog the way you do a person. Remove the stinger with a credit card pushing away from the skin. Using your hand or tweezers can actually release more of the venom making the sting worse.
Place ice on and off to relieve the pain. A dose of Benadryl will relieve the swelling and help with the pain.
That’s an ordinary sting.
If your dog vomits within five to ten minutes or gums become pale, your dog may be going into anaphylactic shock or having a severe reaction. Swelling in the face and neck can block airways and hives can be seen external but also may be internal. In these cases, they need to see a vet where they may treat them with IV fluids to prevent shock and given Steroids and Benadryl injections. They normally need to stay at the clinic for a few hours up to a few days before they determine if they are healthy enough to go home.
A bee sting allergy, just like in people, can be deadly. But telling the dog or the small child that bees don’t play well with others, is hard to do. The best we can do is be prepared in case of a sting.